RGE Working to Restore Power After High Winds Disrupt Service - 6 pm
Company committed to restoring all customers as soon as possible
BINGHAMTON, NY — September 7, 2020, 6 p.m. EST — RG&E, a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc., is working to restore power after strong wind gusts and heavy rain brought down trees and limbs, disrupting service to thousands of customers. Currently, approximately 3,400 customers are without power, including 3,000 customers in the company’s Fillmore division, which includes Allegany, Genesee, Livingston and Wyoming counties.
While restorations are progressing as quickly and safely as possible, the company announced that some customers may not have service restored until Tuesday evening. Complicating restoration efforts are a high number of incidents impacting only one or two customers. Crews will continue to work throughout the overnight and will focus on a number of key priorities, including: making downed wires safe, clearing roads of fallen trees and other debris and making restorations along the way.
Recognizing that many residents are currently home due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, for everyone’s safety, the company asks customers to observe a six-foot social distance if they must be near workers and always remain outside the work zone. Allowing crews to remain uninterrupted and focused on their work enables workers to determine damage and make repairs more quickly and safely.
RG&E will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on the company’s social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to prepare for the storm and stay safe if power outages do occur.
Before a storm strikes
- You can use our new mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG” or “RG&E”. The application is free to download.
- Sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or email as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. Customers can sign up for outage alerts by visiting here for NYSEG and here for RG&E.
- Keep battery-operated flashlights and radios on hand, along with supplies of drinking water and non-perishable foods.
- Make sure that smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are fully charged.
- Fill your car’s fuel tank.
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 and RG&E customers should call 1.800.743.1701 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131 or RG&E at 1.800.743.1701.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities:
The companies’ first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131 and RG&E customers are asked to call at 1.800.743.1701 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com or RGE.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG
- Facebook: @RochGandE
- Twitter: @RGandE
- Sarah Warren
email@example.com 585-794-9253 (cellphone)