12 noon - RG&E Continues Restoration Effort, Announces Estimated Time of Restoration by 11:30 p.m.
Company field resources continue to address remaining incidents
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — March 7, 2022, 12:00 noon — Rochester Gas and Electric’s (RG&E) restoration efforts continue to progress. The company announced that they expect to restore 95% of customers impacted by the wind that occurred yesterday by 11:30 p.m. Monday (3/7). The remaining customers without power will restored Tuesday (3/8). Customers should look for their account specific estimated time of restoration (ETR) to learn when they will be restored. Currently, of the 37,000 total impacted customers, approximately 7,678 customers remain without power in the company’s Central division, which includes Monroe and Wayne County.
Earlier today, the company outlined the day’s work objectives which included a full damage assessment, continuing to clear roads from downed wires, trees and other hazards, and performing restoration work. The company also added additional crews to its restoration effort today and has more than 800 field personnel engaged in storm response efforts in the Rochester area.
The company continues to coordinate its response effort with state and local emergency management officials to clear roads of fallen trees and hazards and restore power service to critical facilities.
The company is currently coordinating with local Monroe County municipalities for dry ice and bottled water distribution sites. Locations will be updated on RGE.com once confirmed.
RG&E will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on the company’s social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offer customers the following reminders to prepare for the storm and stay safe if power outages do occur.
- Use our mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “RG&E”. The application is free to download.
- Sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or email as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. Customers can sign up for outage alerts by visiting rge.com .
Stay Away from Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- RG&E customers should call 800.743.1701 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact RG&E at 800.743.1701.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities
The company's first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. RG&E customers are asked to call 800.743.1701 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the companies will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at rge.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @RochGandE
- Twitter: @RGandE
# # #
About RG&E: Rochester Gas and Electric Corporation (RG&E) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1848, RG&E operates approximately 8,800 miles of electric distribution lines and 1,100 miles of electric transmission lines. It also operates approximately 10,600 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 105 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 378,500 electricity customers and 313,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region in New York surrounding the City of Rochester. For more information, visit rge.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.
- Julio Saenz