Frequently Asked Questions
This rebate program is part of the New York State Public Service Commission's (PSC) Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (EEPS)for New York State.
The purpose of the program is to encourage customers to purchase and install higher efficiency equipment, thereby reducing the state’s overall energy consumption and encouraging wise energy use. The RG&E rebate is offered to cover a portion of any additional cost for purchasing high efficiency versus standard efficiency equipment.
RG&E offer rebates to eligible residential natural gas and electricity customers who replace their existing furnace, boiler or water heater with high-efficiency natural gas equipment. This program is also available to eligible customers who build a new home and install eligible equipment. The new, eligible equipment must meet specific efficiency ratings. Indirect natural gas water heaters may also be eligible for rebates when installed at the time of a qualifying natural gas furnace or boiler installation.
All rebated equipment must be installed no earlier than October 1, 2010 for RG&E customers. Tank type (storage) or tankless natural gas water heaters must be ENERGY STAR approved and installed on or after July 1, 2014 to qualify for rebates. Furnace tune-up rebates are for existing natural gas furnaces only, limited to one rebate every five years, effective January 1, 2016.
View the list of qualifying equipment and available rebates.
Natural gas furnaces, boilers and water heaters must be Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) or ENERGY STAR approved. To determine if your equipment qualifies,visit the AHRI and ENERGY STAR websites. View our water heater matrix to find out which water heaters are eligible for rebates.
AFUE is the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency; the higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the boiler or furnace.
- Have an active RG&E residential natural gas and/or electricity account.
- Replace their existing furnace, boiler and/or water heater with eligible high-efficiency natural gas equipment that meets the program’s standards.
Eligible participants include those rebate applicants who:
Yes. All RG&E delivery customers are eligible as long as they have an active residential natural gas or electricity account.
- Rental property owners where equipment is to be installed, who do not have an RG&E account number must provide
proof of ownership (such as a tax bill or water bill) that includes the address where the eligible equipment is installed.
- Residential natural gas and electricity customers who do not own the property where the equipment is to be installed must have
permission from the property owner to install the equipment in order to receive a rebate.
- You must call the energy efficiency hotline at 800.995.9525 to request a rebate application.
Yes, if you meet certain criteria and can demonstrate that you purchased/installed the eligible equipment.
Submit a completed, signed rebate application with the proper documentation including your account number and a copy of dated paid receipt(s) or invoice(s) to the address given on the rebate application. Rebate applications must be filled out completely, signed, accompanied by dated receipt(s), and proof of property ownership, when necessary. All rebated equipment must be installed no earlier than October 1, 2010 for RG&E customers, and no earlier than April 1, 2011 for NYSEG customers.
- Retailer/Contractor name, business address and phone (not a requirement for Wi-Fi thermostats).
- Equipment type; manufacturer and model number of each piece of equipment.
- Equipment and labor cost total of each piece of rebated equipment (not a requirement for Wi-Fi thermostats).
- Installation date and service address.
Proof of purchase must include a paid invoice or receipt(s) indicating:
A Wi-Fi thermostat offers pre-programmed settings to regulate the temperature in your home, allowing you to save energy and money.
Install your thermostat away from direct sunlight, drafts, doorways, skylights and windows to avoid temperature readings that do not reflect the actual temperature of the room. Make sure you always place the thermostat where it is easily accessible.
If you are uncertain about whether equipment meets the efficiency criteria, check with your heating or plumbing contractor, the manufacturer or local distributor. You may also call our energy efficiency rebate hotline at 800.995.9525.
No. All products, except for Wi-Fi thermostats, must be installed using a licensed HVAC contractor or a HVAC contractor who can supply you with either a Federal ID number or a Certificate of Insurance. Wi-Fi thermostats can be contractor-installed or self-installed and still qualify for the rebate.
- Check the local Yellow Pages for a listing of various contractors by specialty.
- The Air Conditioning Contractors of America provides a contractor locator by ZIP code at acca.org.
- The Better Contractors Bureau is a non-profit consumer protection agency that provides inquiries on contractors for Monroe, Wayne, Ontario, Livingston, Genesee and Orleans counties at the-bcb.net and by phone at 585.338.3600.
- The National Association of Home Builders provides a locator for local builders and remodelers at nahb.org.
- The New York State Office of the Attorney General's website has advice for you to consider when hiring a contractor.
Refer to the ENERGY STAR website for tips on how to find the right contractor. There are many resources that list local plumbers, heating and ventilation, and insulating contractors. Here are just a few:
Yes. You can complete one rebate application for multiple pieces of equipment as long as they are not the same type of equipment. If you are applying for two or more natural gas furnaces or boilers, you will need to complete a separate rebate application for each unit.
Customers who are eligible for the RG&E rebate may also be able to receive federal tax credits or manufacturer’s rebates (if available). To learn more about federal tax credits, visit energystar.gov or call 1.888.STAR.YES (888.782.7937). Contact your contractor or the equipment manufacturer for details on any rebates that may be offered on equipment you have installed. To learn about NYSERDA rebates, visit nyserda.ny.gov or call 1.877.NYSMART (877.697.6278).
RG&E residential customers are not eligible for additional rebates for the same measure through any other energy efficiency program in New York State. Please note, if you purchase a Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat through our online Your Energy Savings Store and receive a $25 rebate for your purchase, then you are not eligible for a $25 rebate through this program. However, you may be eligible to receive an $85 e-gift card if you enroll your qualifying Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat in our Smart Savings Rewards Program.
Rebates are only issued after the equipment has been installed and paid for. Prior to issuing any rebate, RG&E may require a site visit at the property location to verify that the equipment is eligible for rebate and is installed at the address corresponding to the utility account number given on the rebate application.
A percentage of rebate applications will be selected at random and the applicant is required to allow an inspector to view the installation. You will be notified by phone if your rebate application has been selected and asked to provide a day and time that you will be available at the address where the equipment was installed to meet the inspector for verification.
A representative of CLEAResult will conduct the verification. The CLEAResult representative should display CLEAResult identification prior to entering the premise. For the safety of the inspector as well as the customer, the inspector will determine if the ambient carbon monoxide level is safe. If a natural gas leak is detected, the inspector will advise everyone in the home to exit the premises immediately. The inspector will call RG&E immediately to report the natural gas emergency.
Generally a rebate check will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks. If your application is selected for verification, rebate processing may take additional time.
We will mail you a rebate check to the address you provide. We cannot apply it as a bill credit. However, you can donate a portion of your rebate to the Project SHARE Heating Fund, an energy assistance program that helps eligible customers pay for energy emergencies. If you request a portion of your rebate be donated, the donation will be deducted from your rebate amount.
The Project SHARE Heating Fund helps eligible customers pay for energy emergencies. Serving residents in the RG&E service areas, the program is administered by HeartShare Human Services of New York, an organization with a proven track record of managing utility heating funds. HeartShare has established intake agencies throughout RG&E's service areas to accept applications. Each tax-deductible dollar donated helps someone in need.
You can call EFI (our rebate fulfillment contractor) at 877.313.8799.
- Please visit Using Energy Wisely. There, you can take a room-by-room assessment of your energy use with our Energy-Wise Checklist and see how well you’re managing your energy use by taking our Energy IQ test. Our Home Energy Use Guide will tell how much energy your current appliances require.
- You can also visit nyserda.ny.gov for information that helps homeowners and renters reduce their energy costs.