RG&E Continues to Make Progress on Restorations - 12 noon
95% of Restorations Expected to be Completed by Tonight
ROCHESTER, New York — November 2, 2019, 12 noon EST — RG&E, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc., announced it is making progress on restoration efforts and that the estimated time of restoration for 95% of customers impacted by Halloween wind storm is 11:30 p.m. tonight. At this time 941 RG&E customers – 939 of which are in Monroe County – are without power.
Complicating restoration efforts are the number of incidents that impact only a single customer. While crews will continue working until every customer is restored, the number of single-customer incidents that require attention means a significant amount of work will be completed, impacting fewer customers than initial response efforts.
Currently, more than 1,400 field personnel are engaged in restoration efforts across the state. The companies are also coordinating response efforts with state and local emergency management authorities in impacted areas.
RG&E will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on their website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following safety reminders.
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- RGE customers should call 1.800.743.1701 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact RG&E at 1.800.743.1701.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities
The companies’ first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. RG&E customers are asked to call at 1.800.743.1701 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at rge.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @RochGandE
- Twitter: @RGandE
- Michael Jamison
203.997.7906 (cell phone)