HEAP and EAP Programs
If you or someone you know is having trouble managing energy bills, assistance is available to qualified customers through HEAP and EAP
The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federal grant program that assists income eligible households in paying for energy costs, repairs and weatherization.
The Regular Arrears Supplement Benefit helps HEAP-eligible households pay for gas and/or electricity utility arrears. The Regular Arrears Supplement is a one-time benefit based on the actual amount of current utility arrears, up to a maximum of $10,000 per household.
Income eligible customers may receive:
- HEAP Regular Arrears Supplement Benefit
- One regular HEAP grant per heating season.
- Emergency HEAP grants.
- The number of grants vary per heating season depending on the availability of funds.
Availability of funds
HEAP Regular Arrears Supplement Benefit is currently open
Regular HEAP is currently open
Emergency HEAP will open January 3, 2022
How to apply
- Apply through the Department of Social Services otda.ny.gov/main/programs/heap and mybenefits.ny.gov.
Our Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible customers gain control of their energy bills, pay off past due amounts owed and stay current with future bills. The program has two levels of assistance:
- EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
- EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
Eligibility and enrollment:
- If your HEAP grant has been applied to your active RG&E account, an EAP monthly bill credit is automatically applied to your RG&E bill. It will display as a line item under your electricity and/or natural gas delivery charges on your RG&E bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustrated below.
We've expanded our eligibility requirements and you may qualify for EAP!
- If your HEAP grant has been supplied to a fuel vendor other than RG&E, please provide us with a copy of your HEAP grant award letter so that you can receive this monthly bill credit on your RG&E bill.
- If you receive any of the following assistance, please submit proof of participation for enrollment in EAP:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivor Benefits
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Lands Head Start
To apply for EAP, please submit your documentation by:
- Mail to Energy Assistance Program, RG&E, 89 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14649-0001
- Fax to 585.771.6383
- In addition to receiving the monthly bill credit, you'll be referred to EmPower New York for free energy services which may include:
- Installation of high-efficiency lighting
- Replacement of old, inefficient appliances
- Sidewall insulation
- Energy saving tips
- To remain eligible for the EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit:
- You must apply for and receive a HEAP grant each year. EAP monthly bill credits will continue automatically as long as a HEAP grant has been applied every 12 months to your active RG&E account.
- You submit documentation annually to qualify. This may include your HEAP grant award letter with another fuel vendor or proof of participation in the assistance programs mentioned above.
EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
Eligibility and enrollment:
- You're automatically enrolled in EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness when:
- You receive the EAP Monthly Credit Benefit;
- Have a past due RG&E account balance between $240 and $1,500; and
- Have not previously been enrolled in the EAP Limited Benefit and terminated for non-payment.
- Your past due RG&E account balance is placed on hold; and
- A credit is applied to the amount on hold each time you pay your regular RG&E bill. The credit applied is equal to 1/24th of the amount on hold. It will display in the Arrears Forgiveness section on page 1 of your RG&E bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustration below.
Quick links to energy assistance
2021-2022 Income Eligibility Guidelines for HEAP
|Household Size||Monthly Income (Gross)|
|Each additional person||Add $568|