COVID-19 and Our Response
We are prepared and will continue to provide safe and reliable service
Your safety and the safety of our communities is our priority. As the situation surrounding the coronavirus continues to evolve, we are taking extra measures to ensure the ongoing safety of our customers and employees. And, we are implementing our plans to provide safe, reliable service to you.
RG&E will begin to resume work that was delayed by the COVID-19 situation. RG&E President and CEO Carl Taylor shares a message with you about the phased approach and what you can expect.
If you are experiencing a life-threatening electricity emergency, please call 911 immediately. Otherwise, please contact us at 800.743.1701 for electricity outages or trouble or use our online form.
Natural Gas Emergency
If you are experiencing a natural gas emergency, or if you smell a natural gas odor, get up, get out and get away! Then immediately call us at 800.743.1702 or 911 from a safe location.
Maintaining Safe and Reliable Service for You
- Our Comprehensive Emergency Response Plan has been activated - We are committed to maintaining your service.
- Service connections – We have implemented additional safety practices for our crews and will continue to turn on or off your service if you need to move.
Online Account Management Tools
We strongly encourage you to use our digital tools:
Help With Bills
- If you have experienced a change in financial circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can provide options to protect your residential service from disconnection through March 31, 2021*.
- Disconnection protections and payment plans with no down payment, fees or interest are available to help our residential customers, but it's important you contact us at 877.266.3492 or use our online form. Contact us today to learn how we can help.
- We know financial circumstances have changed for man. In addition to other steps, we've suspended late payment charges.
- We have suspended all disconnections for non-payment.
- We've also suspended required security deposits for new accounts to help you easily get started with new service.
- Please call us if you would like to discuss your account and manage your payments.
- You may qualify for assistance. Please visit our Help With Bill page or call 877.266.3492 to learn more.
- Project SHARE Heating Fund. Your donation helps income-eligible customers with energy emergencies. Active duty military personnel and well-discharged veterans with an active disconnect notice may qualify for help regardless of income.
*Dates subject to change based on end of COVID-19 State of Emergency
Pandemic-related Service Adjustments
- Service visits: As we resume previously suspended work that requires entry into customer homes, we continue to take precautions for your safety and ours. We will continue to practice physical social distancing in our interactions, wear appropriate personal protective equipment as necessary and confirm if anyone in your household is sick, experiencing symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 so that we can reschedule or take appropriate measures as needed.
- Pay in Person: We are temporarily closing our walk-in offices until further notice. We encourage you to pay online. If you must pay in person, please confirm whether locations are open before traveling.
- Energy Efficiency Programs: Energy Efficiency program activities are in the process of being resumed after temporary suspensions due to COVID-19. Prior to resuming program activities, our program partners are required to review and adhere to all New York State Safe Return to Work guidelines. Visit our Smart Energy page and click on specific programs for more information.
- Scam Alert: We have recently received reports of scammers attempting to take advantage of the current public health crisis. We urge customers to be on the alert.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from scams.
Report coronavirus fraud and get more info at www.justice.gov/coronavirus.
Food Bank of Central New York
Counties Served: Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Herkimer, Jefferson, Onondaga, Oneida, Madison, Lewis, Cortland
Food Bank of Western New York
Counties Served: Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara
Counties Served: Allegany, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, Yates
RG&E, in partnership with the Avangrid Foundation, recently announced an additional donation of $125,000 to emergency response organizations in the Greater Rochester region to support their ongoing COVID-19 response and recovery efforts. The funds will be distributed to the Rochester Community Crisis Fund and five local food resource organizations and programs.