NYSEG AND RG&E OFFERING ASSISTANCE TO CUSTOMERS CONTINUING TO COPE WITH HIGHER WINTER BILLS
“True-up” of January Electricity Supply Prices Will Affect April Bills
Rochester, NY – NYSEG and RG&E, subsidiaries of Iberdrola USA, continue to encourage customers to consider Budget Billing and other measures to lessen the affect of high winter electricity supply prices on bills.
Record-breaking cold temperatures and lingering winter weather combined with higher electricity supply prices have already driven up energy bills, and those higher supply prices will continue to affect NYSEG and RG&E bills in April for those customers who obtain their electricity supply from NYSEG and RG&E. Here’s what’s at work:
NYSEG and RG&E forecast electricity supply prices every month and then bill residential, nonresidential non-demand, and streetlighting customers based on those forecasts. The companies then “true-up”, or reconcile, the electricity supply prices three months later to account for differences between the forecasted prices and actual market-based prices. Because the April true-up for January electricity supply costs is quite large, the companies will spread the impact over April and May to ease the cost to customers. The result for a typical residential electricity customer will be an April electricity bill approximately 15% to 20% higher than the March bill.
Note: NYSEG and RG&E make no profit on electricity supply.
Two factors are working in customers’ favor:
- NYSEG and RG&E delivery prices have not changed since September 2012.
- The weather is finally improving. In most areas, recent temperatures are at or near normal.
How NYSEG and RG&E Can Help
- Sign up for Budget Billing to divide annual NYSEG or RG&E costs into 12 equal payments.
NYSEG customers may visit nyseg.com and click on “Your Account” or call 800.572.1111 ;
RG&E customers should visit rge.com and click on “Your Account” or call 800.743.2110 .
- NYSEG customers who are having difficulty paying bills may call 888.315.1755 to determine if they are eligible for spreading payments out over time; RG&E customers may call 877.266.3492 .
- Low-cost and no-cost energy-saving tips:
- Information on energy efficiency incentives and rebate programs: