Pavilion Remediation Project
As part of our ongoing commitment to environmental stewardship, cleanup activities at the Pavilion Manufacturing Gas Plant (MGP) began in December 2018.The former MGP site is located at 6903 Ellicott Street Road in the Town of Pavilion, New York. The site is approximately three acres in size and located in an area that includes both industrial and agricultural property usage. The site operated as an MGP beginning in the mid-1920s through the late 1930s. The former MGP operations at the site used a mixture of coke, oil, and steam to produce gas. The above ground structures were decommissioned and removed from the site in the 1960s. In the late 1970s to early 1980s, three 500-gallon above ground storage tanks for vehicular fueling were added to the southeast portion of the site. These tanks are no longer present on the property.
The site is used as an operations center and consists of one large stucco building, three concrete block buildings, a metal clad building, parking lot and grassy areas. The buildings are used for office space, worker training, and vehicle and equipment storage. The site is relatively flat and is secured by chain link fencing. Farm fields bound the site to the north and east and railroad tracks bound the site to the west.
The goal of the cleanup action for the site is to achieve cleanup levels that protect public health and the environment. The key components of the remedy are to:
- Excavation of on-site soil and sediments; removal and disposal of any concrete or brick foundations.
- Development of a site management plan for the long term maintenance of the site.
- Installations of a site cover with clean material to allow for future commercial use of the site.
- Implementation of institutional controls in the form of environmental easements.
We are committed to responsible management of this site and a clean environment for generations of New Yorkers.
- Pavilion Fact Sheet
Frequently Asked Questions:
- To Come
- Samantha Marone, Manager - Public Outreach
888.848.3697 or email@example.com
- Tracy Blazicek, Manager - Programs/Projects, Environmental Remediation
607.237.5325 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation