Understand Your Usage
Typical Electricity and Natural Gas Bill Data
Interested in what comprises a typical bill? The links below compare average monthly bills for customers who purchased their electricity and/or natural gas supply from RG&E.
Understanding your usage
We offer tools to help you better understand your electricity use. These tools are FREE.
- Take our online Energy IQ Test
- Review our free and low-cost Energy Saving Tips
- Visit our Smart Energy section to view our menu of energy efficiency resources.
Helping you understand
When looking at your winter bill, consider these activities that may impact your use of electricity or gas.
- Additional people in the home (children out of school, guests)
- Heat pump hot water heater / heat pump
- Outdoor hot tub
- New appliances / Seasonal appliance
- Pumping wet basement
- Electric portable space heaters
- Heat tapes on pipes, roofs or walkways
- Auto engine block heaters - diesel trucks
- Home construction
Wholesale electricity supply prices have increased
Your energy bill is comprised of two components: supply and delivery. The supply portion of your energy bill is provided by RG&E or an ESCO (Energy Services Company) as chosen by the customer.
If your energy supply is provided by RG&E, the company purchases supply from the market and the market determines the supply price which will vary. Supply and demand have caused the wholesale price of electricity to increase significantly since May 1, 2018. These prices are passed on to customers without markup and RG&E makes no profit on supply. Recent increases in the supply price have not been caused by RG&E rate increases.
Delivery charges cover the costs to distribute electricity from its original source to your home or business. Delivery costs were increased on May 1, 2018.
We offer the following to assist with managing your energy bills:
Budget Billing: This program allows you to keep your bill consistent on a monthly basis to avoid seasonal variations.
Payment Arrangements: If you are having difficulty paying your bills you may qualify for a payment arrangement. Call 1.877.266.3492 for more information.
Customer Meter Reading: You may choose to read your own meter every other month to receive an actual bill each month, eliminating estimated readings.
- What is a supplier other than RG&E, an energy services company or an ESCO?
- What options do I have to purchase my electricity supply?
- What if I change my mind about my electricity supplier pricing option?
- I would like to purchase my electricity supply at a fixed price. How do I do so?
- If I have an ESCO provide my electricity supply, whom do I call if I have problems with electricity service?