The Red Cross/ RG&E Heating Fund alleviates hardship caused by energy emergencies. The Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund, administered by the American Red Cross Greater Rochester Chapter since 1984, is an emergency energy assistance program which specifically targets those who are not eligible for government assistance programs, such as the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). The Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund is supported by contributions from RG&E customers and employees and provides grants to eligible applicants with energy emergencies year-round. More than $5.8 million has been distributed to more than 18,000 customers since the program began.
Heating Fund Facts
- Applicants to the Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund must not be eligible for any government assistance, such as HEAP or Department of Social Services (DSS) / Department of Human Services (DHS) aid.
- Applicants must have a heating shutoff or termination of service notice to qualify. The program is designed to provide one-time emergency assistance to families or individuals who are having difficulty paying a heating bill.
- Applicants must live in the nine-county RG&E service territory.
- Applicants do not have to be RG&E customers.
- There must be a heating emergency, such as the lack of fuel oil, wood or propane, a potential discontinuation of natural gas or electric service or other hardship (e.g. medical).
- For more information on eligibility guidelines, contact your local chapter of the American Red Cross during the cold weather season. In Rochester, call 585.241.4474.
Three Ways You Can Give:
- Through Automatic Giving, have RG&E add a whole dollar amount to your future RG&E bills.
- Add exactly $1, $2 or $5 to your next RG&E bill payment. We will forward the money to the American Red Cross.
- Send a check payable to Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund to:
Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund
American Red Cross
Greater Rochester Chapter
50 Prince Street
Rochester, NY 14607