Frequently Asked Questions Click here for a printable .pdf file
Why is RG&E offering a multi-family energy efficiency program?
On June 23, 2008, the New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) issued an order establishing an Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (EEPS) to reduce the state’s overall energy consumption and encourage wise energy use. On July 27, 2009, the PSC issued a subsequent order designed to serve the multi-family customer group. This program is the result of that July PSC order.
The purpose of the program is to encourage customers in multi-family buildings to reduce electricity usage by making lighting and other efficiency improvements.
What is being offered?
Eligible customers and building owners can receive:
- Free installation of screw-in LED and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) in common areas.
- The program will pay 70% of the cost of hardwired LED, fluorescent and exit sign lighting upgrades in common areas.
- Installation of CFLs in up to six fixtures in apartments or condominiums at no cost for the building owner or tenant. The CFLs installed will be selected to match existing incandescent bulbs as much as possible.
- Free installation of smart power strips in dwelling units.
- Free installation of energy-efficient faucet aerators and showerheads, and water heater pipe wrap in apartments and condominiums where water is heated by electricity.
- The program will pay 30% of the cost to upgrade fluorescent fixtures in dwelling units.
Who is eligible to apply?
An RG&E electricity customer who is either:
A homeowners association representative for a condominium complex, or a landlord/owner of an eligible five to 50 unit
Both building owners/agents and tenants can benefit from the program; however, tenants and condominium owners cannot
I purchase my energy supply from a supplier other than RG&E. Can I participate?
Yes. RG&E delivery customers are eligible as long as they have an active electricity account and fit the building criteria.
What is the process to apply for the program?
Building owners, agents and homeowners association representatives may call RISE Engineering at 1.800.444.5668.
If you rent an apartment or condominium and are interested, we must speak to the building owner or agent to determine eligibility and enroll your building in the program.
Who will install the equipment?
The multi-family energy efficiency program is being administered by RISE, a contractor hired by RG&E. RISE employees have badges identifying them as RG&E contractors.
How is the RG&E multi-family energy efficiency program funded?
This program is funded through the System Benefits Charge (SBC) that appears on all electricity customer bills. This state mandated
fund is for initiatives focused on reducing electricity use in the state.
What else can I do to reduce my energy use and save money?
Visit our Using Energy Wisely page at rge.com. There, you can take a room-by-room assessment of your energy use with our Energy-Wise Checklist and see how well you are managing your energy use by taking our Energy IQ test. Our Home Energy Use Guide will tell how much energy your current appliances require. We can also mail this information or you can receive copies at our walk-in office locations.
You can also visit NYSERDA for more information that helps homeowners and renters reduce their energy costs.