Call 811 Before You Dig
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A Reminder from RG&E
ROCHESTER, New York— October 15, 2018 — RG&E, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), wants to remind customers whether you're a contractor or a homeowner, having underground utilities marked before you dig is essential to protect yourself and others from injury and to prevent damage to underground utility lines. Remember to contact Dig Safely New York at least two and not more than 10 full working days before you start any excavation project.
Every year, there are dozens of incidents involving third-party damage to RG&E’s underground natural gas and electric facilities. These incidents can put people’s lives in danger and interrupt essential utility service.
“Contractors are required by law to call Dig Safely New York before digging, and we strongly encourage do-it-yourselfers to call as well,” said Dennis Bender, Gas Operations Director of RG&E and NYSEG. “Whether you’re putting in a foundation or just putting up a fence, making this simple call will help keep everyone safe.”
Follow these tips for a safer, faster project:
- Plan for having underground utilities marked as part of all underground construction
- Mark out the area of construction
- Call Dig Safely New York, a free and easy service at 811 or 800.962.7962
- Provide adequate training and supervision on a jobsite to assure that good construction practices are followed
- Properly maintain all underground utility markings
- Hand dig in the area of underground facilities
- Provide adequate protection and support for underground facilities
- If our underground facilities are damaged or disturbed, notify RG&E at 800.743.1702 for natural gas or 800.743.1701 for electricity. We'll come right away to ensure the site is safe and make repairs if required
- Use and properly install suitable backfill material around underground facilities
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with $31 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates 7.1 gigawatts of electricity capacity, primarily through wind power, with a presence in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,500 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals, received a Climate Development Project climate score of “A-,” the top score received in the utilities sector, and has been recognized for two consecutive years by Ethical Boardroom as the North American utility with the “best corporate governance practices.” For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
About RG&E: Rochester Gas and Electric Corporation (RG&E) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1848, RG&E operates approximately 8,800 miles of electric distribution lines and 1,100 miles of electric transmission lines. It also operates approximately 10,600 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 105 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 378,500 electricity customers and 313,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region in New York surrounding the City of Rochester. For more information, visit www.rge.com.
- Juanita Washington