Noon: NYSEG and RG&E Responding After High Winds and Rain Knock Out Power
More Than 190,000 Customers Impacted Across the State
BINGHAMTON, New York — November 1, 2019, 12:00 p.m. EST — NYSEG and RG&E, subsidiaries of AVANGRID, Inc., are responding after high winds and rain during the overnight period disrupted service to thousands of customers. At this time more than 61,000 NYSEG and 6,000 RG&E customers are without power. In total, more than 190,000 customers between both companies have been impacted. The companies expect some areas may see additional interruptions as the wind event continues. Both companies had crews working throughout the night and have additional resources enroute and in place to assess damage, perform make safe activities and make repairs. While estimated restoration times are not yet available for many areas due to the ongoing nature of the storm, customers should plan for the potential of extended outages as a result of the damage. Monroe County continues to be the hardest hit area for RG&E. The hardest hit NYSEG divisions are Brewster, Lancaster and Mechanicville, which includes Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Columbia, Erie, Dutchess, Putnam, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Washington and Westchester counties. Again, this is an ongoing dynamic event.
Winds are expected to continue into early Friday afternoon. Softened soil conditions as a result of the rain, coupled with gusty winds, continue to bring down trees and limbs, causing damage to overhead power lines and other electrical equipment.
The first step in the restoration process continues to be for crews to make conditions safe for the public and clear any downed wires or trees that pose an immediate threat to public safety. Damage assessments for already impacted areas are underway and line and tree resources continue to isolate outages to reduce the total number of customers impacted.
Currently, more than 1,400 field personnel are engaged in restoration efforts, with additional resources continue to arrive and onboard. The companies are also coordinating response efforts with state and local emergency management authorities in impacted areas.
NYSEG and RG&E will provide updates throughout the event to the general public on their website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The companies also offer customers the following safety reminders.
Stay Away From Downed Wires:
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 and RGE customers should call 1.800.743.1701 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131 or RG&E at 1.800.743.1701.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities:
The companies’ first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. (NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131) (RG&E customers are asked to call at 1.800.743.1701) to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com or RGE.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG
- Facebook: @RochGandE
- Twitter: @RGandE
- Michael Jamison (NYSEG)
203.997.7906 (cell phone)