RG&E Announces Restoration Times Moved Up - 9:30 pm
Rochester, N.Y. — January 12, 2020, 9:30 p.m. EST — RG&E, an AVANGRID company, announced that the estimated time of restoration for customers impacted by today’s wind event have improved. Currently, out of the more than 13,000 customers impacted by the initial wind event nearly 1,150 customers are without power. The company announced that it expects to restore all customers impacted in the affected areas by 4:00 p.m. tomorrow. While the company has completed restoration to more than 12,000 customers, due to the extensive damage, the company expects that roughly 135 customers will not be restored until tomorrow. Company crews have continued work to assess damage, perform make safe activities and make repairs. Crews will continue working throughout the night until every customer is restored.
Currently, more than 175 field resources are engaged in response efforts in the Rochester region. The company is actively coordinating operations with state and local emergency management officials.
RG&E will continue to provide updates to the general public on their website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following safety reminders.
Stay Away From Downed Wires:
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- RGE customers should call 1.800.743.1701 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact RG&E at 1.800.743.1701.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities:
The company’s first priority is to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. RG&E customers are asked to call at 1.800.743.1701 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at RGE.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @RochGandE
- Twitter: @RGandE
- Michael Jamison