RG&E Reminds Customers to Call Before You Dig
A reminder from RG&E to call 8-1-1 to get utilities marked before work begins
As the summer construction season starts to wind down, many Rochester area residents are working expeditiously to complete outdoor home improvement projects before cold weather moves in. It’s important for a do-it-yourselfer or a contractor to call 811 before performing any work that requires excavation or digging, such as construction of fences, decks or patios or other heavy construction projects.
Every year, there are dozens of incidents involving third-party damage to RG&E underground natural gas and electric facilities. Many of these incidents that could put people’s lives in danger and interrupt essential utility service can be avoided by having utilities marked out before work begins.
“Contractors are required by law to call Dig Safely New York before digging, and we strongly encourage do-it-yourselfers to call as well,” said Greg George Vice President of Gas Engineering at RG&E. “Whether you’re putting in a foundation or just putting up a fence, making this simple call will help keep everyone safe.”
Follow these tips for a safer project
- Plan to have underground utilities marked as part of all underground construction
- Mark out the area of construction
- Call Dig Safely New York, a free and easy service at 811 or 1.800.962.7962
- Provide adequate training and supervision on a jobsite to assure that good construction practices are followed
- Properly maintain all underground utility markings
- Hand dig in the area of underground facilities
- Provide adequate protection and support for underground facilities
- If our underground facilities are damaged or disturbed, notify RG&E by calling 1.800.743.1702 for a natural gas emergency and 1.800.743.1701 for an electric emergency. We'll come right away to ensure the site is safe and make repairs if required
- Use and properly install suitable backfill material around underground facilities
- Call 911 if there is an immediate threat to life or safety
# # #
About RG&E: Rochester Gas and Electric Corporation (RG&E) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1848, RG&E operates approximately 8,800 miles of electric distribution lines and 1,100 miles of electric transmission lines. It also operates approximately 10,600 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 105 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 378,500 electricity customers and 313,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region in New York surrounding the City of Rochester. For more information, visit www.rge.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with approximately $35 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. With headquarters in Orange, Connecticut, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,600 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2019 and 2020 by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.