New Downtown 115 kV Source Program
Statement of Value
RG&E, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, is committed to providing reliable service to all customers. The Station 23 New Downtown 115-kV Source Program is approximately a $150 million project. The existing electrical substation serves as a significant power source for the City of Rochester’s business district downtown. The upgrades at Station 23 will create a more reliable electrical system and support the growing demand of our customers.
The substation is located near the intersection of State & Commercial Streets. The Station 23 program will reinforce the existing downtown network with new transmission lines linking Station 23 and other stations in the downtown area. This program replaces older transformers with newer and higher capacity equipment. It also provides reliable and higher quality energy.
- Replace existing equipment at Station 23 with higher capacity and more compact equipment to accommodate increased power flow through the station.
- Bring new underground transmission capacity into Station 23 from Station 33 (near the University of Rochester) to reinforce existing network.
- Upgrade overhead transmission line from the Mortimer Station (Brighton-Henrietta Townline Road in the Town of Brighton) to Station 33.
- You may view or download a map of the project.
Construction Timeline and Anticipated Schedule
- Work on the underground transmission lines began early in 2016. The start of construction on the overhead electric transmission lines is anticipated to begin in early spring 2017.
- We expect the upgraded facilities to be in service in 2018.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS
Please contact the RG&E Project Information Line at 888.553.5411 and leave a detailed message. A representative from the RG&E Station 23 project team will return your call within three business days.