Frequently Asked Questions
In addition to reviewing and adhering to New York State Safe Return to Work guidelines, our Program Partner has a COVID task force that is regularly monitoring the evolving situation to ensure employees and customers are safe. Installation staff undergo a daily health check, sanitize their shoes, wear masks and gloves, and disinfect all surfaces and objects touched during the visit. Upon leaving, all packaging materials or old equipment are removed. Please call 800.444.5668 to discuss any questions you may have before work starts in your building.
Customer satisfaction is a top priority. These programs provide multiple benefits to customers some of which are increased safety, reduced maintenance costs and lower utility bills. In addition, New York State strongly supports clean energy and combating climate change. We understand that this presents opportunities for our customers and recognize the important role our customers play towards this effort. Finally, providing safe, reliable service especially during times of peak demand is something we strive for. It is both costly and difficult to meet customer demand at its peak, for example, a hot summer afternoon when most buildings are running air conditioners, or on bitter cold and windy winter days when customers are running their heating systems. Educating and helping our customers to improve the efficiency of their homes is not only a great way to manage high demand, it will also help keep energy costs low.
- The program will pay a range of the costs of common area installations. Currently, the range is approximately 50%-100%* of the cost of hardwired LED and exit sign lighting upgrades, qualifying Occupancy Sensors and Nest-E Smart Thermostats in common areas.
- Installation of LEDs in dwelling units at no cost for the building owner or resident. The LEDs installed will be selected to match existing incandescent bulbs as much as possible.
- Free installation of energy-efficient faucet aerators and showerheads and water heater pipe wrap where water is heated by electricity or natural gas.
- Free Smart Power Strips in dwelling units
- Free installation of screw-in LEDs in common areas in conjunction with in-unit installation.
Eligible customers and building owners can receive:
- A homeowner’s association representative for a condominium complex, or a landlord/owner of an eligible multi-family building with five or more units per building.
Both building owners/agents and residents can benefit from the program; however, residents and condominium owners cannot directly apply.
Any RG&E electricity and/or natural gas customer who is either:
Yes. RG&E delivery customers are eligible as long as they have an active electricity and/or natural gas account and fit the building criteria.
Building owners, agents and homeowners association representatives may submit an application, call the Program at 800.444.5668 or send an email to MFenergysavings@trccompanies.com.
If you rent an apartment or condominium and are interested, we must speak to the building owner or agent to determine eligibility and enroll your building in the program.
Our Multi-Family Energy Efficiency program is being administered by our Program Partner. Program Staff coming onto the property for the initial assessment will have badges identifying them as RG&E contractors. Once a scope of work is decided upon, Program Staff will inform the property which licensed Installer will be onsite to complete the installation. Only contractors that have been vetted and approved to participate in our program will be on the property.
Please visit Using Energy Wisely. There, you can take a room-by-room assessment of your energy use with our Energy-Wise Checklist and see how well you’re managing your energy use by taking our Energy IQ test. Our Home Energy Use Guide will tell how much energy your current appliances require.
You can also visit nyserda.ny.gov for information that helps homeowners and renters reduce their energy costs.