Multi-Family Energy Efficiency Program
We are resuming our Energy Efficiency program activities after temporary suspensions due to COVID-19. We're taking extra measures to ensure the safety of our customers, contractors and employees. Prior to resuming program activities, our program partners are required to review and adhere to all New York State Safe Return to Work guidelines.
For questions regarding our program, please contact our program partner Franklin Energy at 888.316.8023 or send them an email.
We appreciate your patience as we safely resume program activity.
Special Bonus and Rebate Increase
As restrictions begin to ease and we all take steps to get our business and daily routines back on track, we are offering a special bonus and additional rebate to our condominium and apartment Multi-family Program participants:
- $25 per tenant unit bonus for direct install
- Minimum $250
- Maximum $3,000
- 15% additional rebate for common area lighting projects
- $5,000 maximum per property
To be eligible for bonus and additional rebate, projects must be completed and submitted for payment with all required documentation from May 26 through November 30, 2020.
WHAT WE OFFER
Our Multi-Family Energy Efficiency program provides equipment replacement and rebates designed to reduce electricity and/or natural gas use in apartment and condominium complexes. Submit a direct install application or contact us to get started today.Free installation of energy-efficient products such as:
- LEDs in dwelling units
- Energy-efficient faucet aerators and showerheads, and water heater pipe wrap in apartments and condominiums where water is heated by electricity or natural gas
- Screw-in LEDs in common areas in conjunction with in-unit installation
Rebates for installing qualified lighting measures* in common areas such as:
- Interior LED lamps, fixtures and exit signs
- Exterior LED fixtures including wall packs, floodlights, canopy lights and pole lights
- Occupancy sensors
Download our rebate guide and application.
Please note: An authorized Trade Ally must perform the installation to qualify for the rebates. Our Trade Ally Network includes qualified contractors and energy experts to help you with all your energy efficiency needs. Contact a Trade Ally today!
*All measures must meet eligibility requirements to qualify for rebates.
- Increased tenant satisfaction
- Improved appearance to your building
- Decreased maintenance
- Lower energy bills for apartment/condominium residents
- Lower energy bills for building owners
HOW TO ENROLL
Complete and submit a direct install application to qualify your eligibility and get scheduled for your free installation.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
- Residents or owners/agents of apartment and condominium complexes with
an active RG&E electricity and/or natural gas service.
- Property owners and agents may call 800.444.5668 to determine if their buildings are eligible for a free assessment.
To learn more about our Multi-Family Energy Efficiency program, call 800.444.5668, send an email to MFenergysavings@franklinenergy.com, or view our frequently asked questions below
Print our program overview.
All equipment replacements and installations will be performed by our contractor Franklin Energy.
Our Multi-Family Energy Efficiency program is being offered in accordance with a July 2009 New York State Public Service Commission order approving efficiency programs for utilities across the state.
If you are a commercial contractor, or a consultant providing energy efficient equipment or services to our customers, visit our trade ally website.
Frequently Asked Questions
On June 23, 2008, the New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) issued an order establishing an Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (EEPS) to reduce the state’s overall energy consumption and encourage wise energy use. On July 27, 2009, the PSC issued a subsequent order designed to serve the multi-family customer group. This program is the result of that July PSC order.
The purpose of the program is to encourage customers in multi-family buildings (with four or more units per building) to reduce electricity and/or natural gas usage by making lighting and other efficiency improvements.
Eligible customers and building owners can receive:
- The program will pay 60% of the cost of hardwired LED, fluorescent and exit sign lighting upgrades in common areas.
- Installation of LEDs in up to six fixtures in apartments or condominiums at no cost for the building owner or tenant. The LEDs installed will be selected to match existing incandescent bulbs as much as possible.
- Free installation of energy-efficient faucet aerators and showerheads, and water heater pipe wrap in apartments and condominiums where water is heated by electricity or natural gas.
- Free installation of screw-in LEDs in common areas in conjunction with in-unit installation.
An RG&E electricity and/or natural gas customer who is either:
- A homeowners association representative for a condominium complex, or a landlord/owner of an eligible multi-family building with four or more units per building.
- Both building owners/agents and tenants can benefit from the program; however, tenants and condominium owners cannot directly apply.
Yes. RG&E delivery customers are eligible as long as they have an active electricity and/or natural gas account and fit the building criteria.
- Building owners, agents and homeowners association representatives may submit a direct install application, call Franklin Energy at 800.444.5668 or send an email to MFenergysavings@franklinenergy.com.
- If you rent an apartment or condominium and are interested, we must speak to the building owner or agent to determine eligibility and enroll your building in the program.
Our Multi-Family Energy Efficiency program is being administered by Franklin Energy, a contractor hired by RG&E. Franklin Energy employees have badges identifying them as RG&E contractors. Trade Allies (licensed electricians, plumbers and contractors) who have been pre-selected and approved to participate in our program may perform work in common areas.