NYSEG and RG&E Urge Customers to Be Wary of Carbon Monoxide – It Can Be Deadly
Rochester, NY – Following an expected seasonal increase in carbon monoxide (CO) incidents across the NYSEG and RG&E service areas, the companies urge customers to:
• Have a professional check their heating systems and chimneys, flues and vents once a year.
• Use CO detectors. (CO detectors are now required by state law in most residences.)
• Read, understand and follow manufacturer’s instructions when using supplemental heat sources such as space heaters or fireplaces, and emergency generators, which never should be used indoors.
• Never use a natural gas stove, oven or charcoal grill as an indoor heat source.
Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure to CO can lead to serious illness and even death.
CO is produced by incomplete combustion from boilers, furnaces, water heaters, gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns and natural gas ranges. The incomplete combustion of charcoal, oil, wood or propane can also produce CO, which can build up in enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces and poorly ventilated areas and create a dangerous situation.
Anyone who suspects a carbon monoxide problem should get up, get out and call 911. NYSEG customers may also call 1.800.572.1121; RG&E customers may call 1.800.743.1702.
For more information on CO, read “Carbon Monoxide Prevention” at:
For more information on generator safety, read “Emergency Generator Safety” at: