NYSEG and RG&E Encourage Customers to Stay Safe and Use Energy Wisely, Particularly During Frigid Weather
Rochester, NY – NYSEG and RG&E are encouraging customers to stay safe and use energy wisely to help control bills during the frigid weather that is forecast through Tuesday.
NYSEG and RG&E offer the following safety and energy-saving tips:
- Emergency generators can be dangerous. If you use one, carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Never run an emergency generator indoors; operate generators only outdoors in well-ventilated areas.
- Never use a natural gas or propane range to heat your home.
- Never use a grill, hibachi, lantern or portable camping stove indoors.
- Make sure your electric stove tops and/or ovens are off when not in use.
- Stay away from any downed wires.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- If you use candles for decorative purposes, always keep them within your sight and away from children, pets and anything that could catch fire.
- Set thermostats no higher than 70° and at 58° when you’re away from the house for more than a few hours or in bed for the night. (This may not be advisable if frail, ill or elderly people or infants are in the home.)
- Install automatic set back or programmable thermostats.
- Change or clean furnace filters once a month during the heating season.
- Since warm air rises, use registers to direct warm airflow across the floor.
- Close vents and doors in unused rooms and close fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Open draperies and blinds on sunny days to let the warmth in and close at night to insulate against cold air outside.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs that use up to 75% less energy and last up to 10 times as long.
- Use programmable timers to turn lights on/off.
- Unplug chargers for cell phones and other electronic devices when charging is complete.
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use.
- Set water heater temperatures at 120° to cut water heating bills without sacrificing comfort.
- Install water-flow restrictors in showerheads and faucets.
- Limit the length of showers.
- Run washing machines and clothes dryers with a full load.
For more low-cost and no-cost energy-saving tips, visit www.nyseg.com or www.rge.com and click on “Usage and Safety” (http://www.nyseg.com/UsageAndSafety/default.html or http://www.rge.com/UsageAndSafety/default.html).
Customers are also encouraged to sign up for the companies’ Budget Billing service that enables them to spread utility costs evenly over 12 months. For more information or to sign up, NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1111; RG&E customers should call 1.800.743.2110.
Customers who are having difficulty paying their bills are urged to contact their utility right away (NYSEG: 1.888.315.1755; RG&E: 1.877.266.3492).
About NYSEG and RG&E: NYSEG and RG&E are subsidiaries of Iberdrola USA. NYSEG serves 873,000 electricity customers and 259,000 natural gas customers across more than 40% of upstate New York. RG&E serves 362,000 electricity customers and 299,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region centered on the City of Rochester. Providing outstanding customer service and meeting our customers’ energy requirements in an environmentally-responsible manner, NYSEG and RG&E are valuable assets to the communities we serve. For more information, visit www.nyseg.com and www.rge.com.
About Iberdrola USA: Iberdrola USA, a subsidiary of global energy leader Iberdrola, S.A., is an energy services and delivery company serving about 3 million customers throughout upstate New York and New England. For more information about Iberdrola USA, visit www.iberdrolausa.com.